Sunday, March 10, 2013

Recipes from a Farmer's Table

     REFRIED BEANS WITHOUT THE REFRY
       From the Kitchen of Dawn Sturtevant

3 c.      dry pinto beans, rinsed
1          onion, diced
5          cloves garlic, diced
2 t        salt
2t         sugar
1 t        cumin
2          chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
            or 4 t hot pepper sauce or to taste
9 c       water

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on high (300°) for 12 hours.  Drain, reserving 2+ cups of liquid.  Mash beans with potato masher, adding back in liquid to desired consistency.  I find it takes about 1 ½ to 2 cups.

Note:  I buy the little can of chipotles, and freeze the unused portion.  When I know I’m going to make a batch of beans, I take the peppers out of the freezer the night before to thaw enough to take a couple out.  Or you can nuke ‘em for a few seconds to thaw just a couple.  I keep refreezing them until their gone.  They are fine through all this freezing/thawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment